September 30, 2009

Day Date with Dustin

Last week, Dustin and I took a day to go out and visit some local attractions that are close by. We started by heading to the North Carolina Botanical Gardens in Chapel Hill. This garden is part of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and is free (always a plus). It is quite small but worth the visit. The highlight of the visit... A life sized game of chess. Of course, we had to play a game. And some eight year old made sure to tell me that it was legit for Dustin to have two queens when I was trying to persuade Dustin to see it my way (meaning no queens for either of us, since I had already lost mine). I ending up losing big time.
After our tour of the gardens, we headed over to Duke University to check out the Duke Chapel. I have been wanting to go see this chapel since we moved here, and it was worth the wait. It is stunning! Construction on this building began in 1930 and was completed in 1935. It serves at the university's center and is a interdenominational worship building. Although the Chapel was inspired by other chapels, it is completely unique.
My favorite part... the stained glass windows. These pictures do not do them justice, they really must be seen in person. Really the whole chapel should be witnessed first hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment