January 15, 2010

Grandpa Dee

This is my Grandpa. Grandpa Dee. Isn't he handsome!

I remember the first time I met him. It is one of the few memories of my childhood that is so vivid, it feels like it happened just yesterday. Grandma and her soon to be husband were coming over for dinner at our house so we could meet him. I remember my first thought of him was "wow, he is so tall!" Not just because I was 10 years old at the time but because he was over 6 feet tall and by far one of the tallest men I had ever met. During dinner, we had a raid of flying ants that were dropping from the ceiling into our food. Seriously, not the best first impressions. But he handled it with grace and it has become a favorite memory of our family ever since. We still talk about it. And then laugh about it.

I remember during Easter break one year we had gone to St. George. Chardell and I spent the entire day with Grandma and Grandpa. They took us to Mesquite, NV and the whole way there taught us stuff... about the cactus, about the area, and about them. It was so much fun and I still remember how much he knew and how much fun him and grandma had together.

A few years later, he came to my high school graduation. He was so proud to be there.
A few years after that. He came to my college graduation. Where he sat through the boring ceremonies in a chair that was too small for his tall legs. Afterward he took me out to dinner.
A few years later, he came to my second college graduation and did the whole thing over again. The whole time just beaming from ear to ear because he was so proud of me.

I remember him taking me and Dustin out to dinner when we got engaged because he wanted to make sure that he was worthy to have me, that he would take care of me and be a good husband. He approved! Later that year, he was able to give me a blessing on my wedding day. I can't tell you what he said but I can tell you that it was filled with love.

I have many more memories of times spent with him but mostly what I remember is that he was so kind, loving, and sincere. To this day he will always be the biggest sweetheart that I know. He had a great sense of humor and was always smiling. He always made sure to tell me how proud he was of me and how much he loved me. Always. And he always gave me lots of hugs!

My Grandpa Dee was 92 years old (almost 93). He shared a marriage with my grandma for almost 17 years. He brought happiness to our family and left us with many great memories. He was a great man, one of the best I have ever known. I'm sad that he is no longer here with us, but I know that he lived the best life he could and that he is living with our heavenly father again. I miss him dearly and I look forward to the day when I can see him again.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry - I had no idea, he was a sweet and wonderful man. A great example.

    ME

    ReplyDelete