August 12, 2010

Lighting Storm

Last night we had some serious lighting. Followed by some serious thunder. And eventually some heavy rain storms. The night sky was lighting up every few seconds with big crashes of lighting.

After seeing some amazing shots by some of my favorite photographers (here and here), I decided that even though it was almost midnight (and I was already super tired), I should attempt to take some shots of the lighting. So I grabbed the camera and tripod, and headed out to our balcony to see what I could get. Not the best spot, but in an area that is covered with tall trees, it actually worked out pretty good.

Things started out slow. A little to long of an exposure = too much blue. But still pretty neat.Then a small streak that just peeked into view. Then the real show started. And then the rain came and I packed it up and went to bed. I'm so so so glad that I decided to get up and take some photos. I'm really happy with how they turned out and I'm excited for the next storm to come so I can try again.

6 comments:

  1. Does your mother know you do this scary stuff? Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome pictures, Cami! I really want to try getting some lightning shots - what's the secret? I'm usually too lazy to go outside when it's happening - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Those are awesome shots! Yeah, will you share your secrets with us?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No real secret, just a long exposure time and hope that the lighting cracks while the lens is still open. Lots of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photos cami. I need you here with me so I can be inspired once again to take photos!

    ReplyDelete