June 25, 2012

Violet Sunnyside Cardigan


Seriously, how adorable is this little cardigan?!  I just can't get enough of it.  It's so tiny!

One of my knitting goals for this year was to lean to knit a sweater or cardigan. Since I was so intimidated to make one, I decided to start small and make a newborn sweater.  I can definitely see more of these in the future (even though I don't have any use for them), because they are so fun to make and the end product is just too adorable.


I really enjoyed this pattern, although I don't know if it was really suitable for a first time sweater knitter.  There were several times in the instructions that I had to look other places for help because I just wasn't sure what to do.  Now that I've finished one and have the general idea of how they are constructed, the instructions make sense, but they were really confusing to me at first.

I did really like that the pattern had options for a more girly version, with the lace panels and picot edging, or a more boyish version with cables and a garter edging.  I just happened to have this yarn on hands, so I chose the girl version.  I might make a boy version just for more practice.

The yarn is Knitpicks Bare stroll fingering weight yarn that I hand dyed.  I used acid dyes and went all "mad scientist" on this yarn. I adore the end result:  A violet purple color that has a kettle dyed effect.  

I spent thirty minutes in the button isle trying to find the perfect buttons. It finally came down to the logic "what girls doesn't need pearls on her sweater?" and I think they are a perfect accessory for this adorable sweater. 

I cast on for the 3-6 month old size, but my gauge was off so I was hoping it would turn out to be a 0-3 month old size.  I tried it on my 7 week old nephew and it fit perfect!



Ravelry Page
Needles - US 4
Yarn - Knitpicks Bare, sock weight, hand-dyed by me.
Pattern - Sunnyside Cardigan by Tanis Lavallee
Date Started -  March 18, 2012
Date Finished - June 10, 2012

1 comment: